Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Recipe time!

So my vegetarian lifestyle has been going pretty good so far. I want to share a recipe I came up with full of flavor and that is also a healthier alternative to a meat dish. Vegetarian sweet potato shepherd's pie. This is actually considered vegan because there is no animal products in this dish. I used almond milk instead of regular milk for the mashed sweet potatoes because I am lactose intolerant.

Serves 6
2 large sweet potatoes
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of black beans
1 pack of frozen mixed veggies (you may also use fresh)
Cinnamon
Almond milk (or reg )
Garlic
Cumin
1/2 diced yellow Onion

Preheat oven to 350.

Skin and cube the sweet potatoes, boil for 20 mins (or until soft and you can stick a fork through). Strain and pour into a bowl. Add about 2/3 cup of almond milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon, beat until consistency of mashed potatoes. Set aside.

Drain and cook black beans and kidney beans together. Sprinkle in garlic, cumin and diced onion.

While beans are cooking, prep frozen veggies according to package directions.

In a medium-sized casserole dish layer the beans on the bottom, veggies in the middle, and spread sweet potatoes on top. Sprinkle the top of the sweet potatoes with cinnamon, bake in over for 25 mins.

I hope you all enjoy this yummy recipe I made up ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment